A NEVERENDING STORY...
All of a sudden her face became
Like a crumpled tissue paper,
Her eyes wavered wildly
Like a candle in the wind,
And then closed like a door slammed shut...
When she didn't respond to my calls
I frantically rushed to the doctor,
Who came briskly with more nurses,
And then their discussion, whispered instructions,
And curtains drawn around her bed....
After some time -which seemed like ages-,
On being told that she's come around,
I rushed back to her while checking myself
From flinging upon her,and kissing her hand
With sob-trembling lips, said,
"Mom,don't ever do this to me!"..
She patted me with her feeble hand,
And said with a lukewarm smile,
"I think I just had a glimpse of death.
There was a white darkness around me
Trying to suck me up in its vortex,
But my every cell wanted to live for you,
So I faught my way back here.
Yet I've realised none can escape death,
Who is the companion of our breath.
I think it is a neverending story,
I may not be ,yet I'll always be."
****
-PORTIA
All of a sudden her face became
Like a crumpled tissue paper,
Her eyes wavered wildly
Like a candle in the wind,
And then closed like a door slammed shut...
When she didn't respond to my calls
I frantically rushed to the doctor,
Who came briskly with more nurses,
And then their discussion, whispered instructions,
And curtains drawn around her bed....
After some time -which seemed like ages-,
On being told that she's come around,
I rushed back to her while checking myself
From flinging upon her,and kissing her hand
With sob-trembling lips, said,
"Mom,don't ever do this to me!"..
She patted me with her feeble hand,
And said with a lukewarm smile,
"I think I just had a glimpse of death.
There was a white darkness around me
Trying to suck me up in its vortex,
But my every cell wanted to live for you,
So I faught my way back here.
Yet I've realised none can escape death,
Who is the companion of our breath.
I think it is a neverending story,
I may not be ,yet I'll always be."
****
-PORTIA
A mother's love...so great. Touching Posh.
ReplyDeleteThank you, dear Janaki!
Delete-POSH
Portia - you have created a haunting vision, and yet you deliver such a great line "But my every cell wanted to live for you" - because we want our parents to live forever. Great job.
ReplyDeleteNeil
Thank you,Mr. Neil Chatterton.yes, actually my every cell wants my mom to live for me! I just can't do without her.
Delete-Portia
So touching Portia. The love between a mother and her child can never be destroyed. That kind of love and connection is never-ending. You portrayed it with beauty in this piece.
ReplyDeleteGuest Post on the Monice Magazine: http://themonicemagazine.wordpress.com/write-on-wednesday/write-on-wednesday-my-date-with-digital-publishing/
Thank you, dear Tameka. Yes, for me my mom is next to God.
Delete-Portia
God Bless you and your mom Posh!
ReplyDeletea wonderfully touching poem. We all have our turn with this part of life and it never gets any easier. I will keep a good thought for you and your mom.
Jim
Thank you, dear Jim, for your love and support.
Delete-Portia
So beautiful, such love expressed here from you and she. wonderful Portia. <3
ReplyDeleteThank you, dear Jan. My mom is love incarnate itself!
Delete-Portia
When you wrote about this...I thought of several people I've assisted. Those stricken with cancer are the strongest people I've met. Your mom lives for you and she loves you very much. Be strong for her.
ReplyDelete