blog = blog.replace(/\.blogspot\..*?\//, ".blogspot.com/ncr/");

Do youlike my blog?

07/11/2011

My 'ITALIAN JOB'-2 :VERONA

MY 'ITALIAN JOB'-2 :VERONA

On reaching Verona we were put up in Hotel Italia Verona, a really beautiful hotel. On the advice of Mrs. Dorothy I purchased a 'Verona Card' for 15 Euros to see 14 most important attractions of Verona on a guided tour.It is always better to have a proffessional guide with you in Italian cities for correct information and for safeguarding you and your valuables, especially in Verona which is  'famous' for its cheats and touts.

Citygate, Verona
  During this hectic tour I visited the still functioning Roman Amphitheatre which is almost 2000 years old!

                                       ancient Roman amphitheatre (Teatro Romano Dal Museo), Verona
 I also visited the well-maintained ancient monuments like the Verona Cathedral(Duomo), Castell San Pietro across the Peter Bridge, the Loggia del Consiglio, Piazza dei Signori (where Poet Dante's statue is located) and other such places. I won't tax your patience by their description since you can get all such information on 'wikipedia'. However, I am posting here some photos taken by me:
                                          the ancient Arena, Verona.

                                            Verona cathedral (Duomo) 1

                                                  The Duomo, Verona

                                               palazo Maffei, Verona
                                            Piazza Del Signori, with Dante's statue in the foreground.

                                           city-arch while going towards Juliet's house.
 I would like  to hold myself back from posting other  photos here.
  Though all these places took me to a different era, I was much more interested in visiting Romeo and Juliet's houses. Romeo's house is at 4,via Archo Scaligere. The lane is very narrow and gloomy (fit for a tragidy play!), and there wasn't much rush there, so I went  to Juliet's house which was a couple of streets away, just off Piazza del Erbe.
all the while some lines from Shakespeare's Romeo and Juliet were ringing in my mind, like, when Romeo stealthily comes to visit Juliet and stands below her window and when she comes to that window he exclaims to himself:
            "But, soft,what light through yonder window breaks?
             It is the east, and Juliet is the sun....."
 And then the famous lines of Juliet:
             "O, Romeo, Romeo! Wherefore art thou Romeo?..."
 But my romantic mood was shattered when I saw this vulgar billboard of vodafone directly on the compound wall of Juliet's house! Oh, what blatant commercialisation!:
 But I didn't know that further shocks awaited me. The whole area smacked of cheap and vulgar  commercialisation. the mere entry to Juliet's house costs you 4Euros! And the socalled 'balcony' to Juliet's window isn't original at all!
The place was crowded with teenagers who were making a vulgar exibition of their  'love' with lewd gestures. Some boys weren't sparing even poor Juliet's statue. They were embracing and kissing it and getting photographed themselves while making lewd moves to that statue. Oh, it was so nauseating! Then, many of them were busy writing 'love-messages' on the walls, even by climbing on each other's shoulders!:

                                           'Love- graffiti ' on Juliet's wall
                                                                                     Balcony of Juliet's room-window


Juliet's Statue.
I just wanted to have  a glimpse of the interior of Juliet's room but was unable to move forward even an inch. then there was this Italian teenager girl who was constantly stalking me.Since I couldn't follow her Italian chatter I just smiled at her but God knows what meaning she drew from my smile, she just grabbed me by hand and dragged me up the stairs to Juliet's room. And just when we entered that room, all of a sudden she pinned me in a corner  and kissed me so hard on my lips, almost biting them! I was so shocked by this sudden and unexpected assault that I couldn't even breathe for a minute! When I ultimately gathered some courage and shoved her away there was a huge laughter all around. I practically ran away from that place to save myself from getting further violated. It was only when I reached my hotel room that I could breathe freely. This incidence spoile my beautiful day and left a very bad taste (literally) in my mouth.
 So,  with  a great apprehention that I went out in the evening with my colleagues. On our hotel manager's recommendation we went to a bar named 'Rain'. This bar is located in the heart of Verona. It really provided a great amosphere to enjoy a glass of most delicious wine, nibble some tasty Italian food and listen to great music.

                                        'Modern' Verona: a shop-window
        A hint of caution, though. Veronese are keen eaters of Horse-meat(Cavallo).They can eat any part of the horse!
             I am almost a vegetarian and live mostly on fruits, juices, eggs, bread and cheese. So I survived mostly on Italian 'Pizzocheri (buckwheat pasta with cheese) and 'Bigoli'(a thick spaghetti) during this whole tour.
       The next morning we left for Venice.
I will tell you about my Venice-trip in my next post.
........PORTIA

8 comments :

  1. Your photos are beautiful, what a beautiful place. I so sorry that it was tainted by disrespectful youth and one very creepy girl. Sounds like the wine and company was good later though. I hope you have recovered from the unwanted assault. <3<3<3 Loves to you, Jan

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope u had a wonderful time,I like the pictures...apart from the "kissing incident"...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! You seem to have had rocking time in Verona. Have fun Portia!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Niiiiiiice:) The city of love and the love of the city.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry for your horrible incident sad, sad people all over the world!!!
    We are planning on visiting Italy in 2012 and your images are making me anticipate even more lol... I never talk about another photographers composition because I believe what your eye saw was what your vision was!!
    The exposure and DOF are excellent.. I love seeing Juliet's balcony.. Your images tell a story, are pleasing to the eye and that is all you can ask of images. Good Job and I'm looking forward to seeing your images of Venice, we did not visit there last time but are planning to this trip. Portia I'm not sure if you are serious about your photography or more of a photography enthusiast looking to document your trip. I think you did a great job of documenting your trip!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Vow!! I visited the city f Romeo n Juliet! Thanks my love n that incident was soo cheap..people r jst mad!!

    Wish I could ever visit these cities.

    Love
    Mani

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sorry to hear about your visit to the city of Romeo and Juliet..so sad that this generation cannot honour the past...again, the photo's are beautiful and transport us all through history. Makes me want to jump on a plane...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh how wonderful that you have visited Verona. I'm glad you have visited the places I haven't. I had my Franciscan itinerary so I missed a lot of good places there.

    Oh graffiti everywhere... I would have contributed to that too if ever I visited that place.

    Young italians of these generation are more pronounced in their modernity ~ they are more liberal I guess and have little respect for others.

    When I was visiting Perugia for their Chocolate festival, there were couples who'd french kiss on the streets. I thought that was also part of the festival...geez...

    Well, I'm glad you escaped from that teenager, who knows what tricks she must be up to... so better be careful next time and always bring a companion along with you whenever you do your 'passegiata'...

    Wonderful images...thanks for sharing...

    ReplyDelete