blog = blog.replace(/\.blogspot\..*?\//, ".blogspot.com/ncr/");

Do youlike my blog?

19/10/2012

ABSTRACT PAINTING

ABSTRACT PAINTING

According to the dictionary, 'to abstract' is to draw from, to concentrate in itself the essential qualities of a larger thing or of several things; expressing a quality apart from any object.

When an artist makes an abstract, he takes the main elements of the scene or the still life, or even the idea, and uses them as elements upon which to build the design and feeling of his painting. It is around these elements that the artist develops his final theme, colour scheme, action or lack of action and sometimes even the surface texture (rough or smooth, calm or exciting) by using blended strokes, different size strokes, soft edge painting or allowing the strokes to show.

There are different degrees of abstraction. When the image is only slightly lost or irrelevant detail is not recorded, we call it 'Semi-Abstract', where we can still see the subject which is painted.

Here's one of my 'semi-abstract' painting of flowers wherein the flowers can still be seen:



The more we retreat from realism, the more 'abstract' the painting becomes. Sometimes, when we come to a point where there is no image or object left to see, we are at 'Total Abstrction', and this is also called 'non-objectivity'.

Here's my  'Total Abstract' painting of flowers:



When you create an abstract or semi-abstract painting, you have your very own interpretation of the subject or scene or situation which you have chosen to depict. You convey your own unique and wonderful experience. Here, not many rules are to be followed. It is merely a feeling of good taste, joyousness of creation and flow of movement!

Usually a painting needs no name. But the title certainly adds to the poetry of the whole idea. I have named my 'semi-abstract' painting of flowers as 'Giggling Flowers' and the 'Total Abstrct' painting of  those same flowers is  named as 'Flowers Waking up in the Blue Fog' because that was how I felt then!

I usually love to have an image as the basis for a painting. The figure is a symbol for me around which I create the painting and try to depict feelings or emotions like love, action,passiveness etc. through it. I try to 'abstract' the area around  the figure so that the viewer' attention is not divided by irrelevant details. Here's is one such painting:


Dear friends, hope that you get the general idea of the way I paint.

thank you for being with me.

-PORTIA BURTON

1 comment :

  1. Dear Portia,

    I enjoyed reading this very much. It's a great primer on the subject of abstract art.

    Virtually all of this info also applies to other art media, like photography, as well as paintings.

    Your artwork is inspiring! My favorite is 'Flowers Waking up in the Blue Fog'.

    I'd like to share this at https://www.facebook.com/DangerousLinda

    Thank you!

    ReplyDelete