blog = blog.replace(/\.blogspot\..*?\//, ".blogspot.com/ncr/");

Do youlike my blog?

08/01/2014

Venice- the mysterious and enchanting 'girlfriend'!


VENICE: Majestic, mystical and mesmerizing!

Dear friends, Greetings!

 I am back from our trip of Italy, which was quite eventful and memorable because when you are in the company of your very close friends no odds can curdle your happiness! We visited Milan, Brescia, Sirmione, Verona and Venice during this past week, but I'd like to talk more about Venice.

                                      (canal Grande in the morning fog)

We were greeted by a thin fog on arrival at Venice and that set the 'romantic Venetian mood' for me.I was instantly charmed by Venice's magical atmosphere and I am really hard at words to describe my experience of Venice, though I am visiting it for the second time.
For me Venice is the most mysterious place in the world. As you know, there is Seven Wonders of the World but in my opinion there is one more: Venice! I have been to Venice before. But this place is really very fascinating!

                                (Hotel Principe, Venice- where we stayed)
 There was a short-lived little drizzle on our first morning but it gave me an opportunity of taking a photo of the beautiful scene of the cobbled street outside!


          (Rainy morning in Venice, you can see the famous tower of Venice)

           Venice has an area of some 7 square kilometres and consists of 50 or so islands. It is divided into six districts( sestieri): to the right of Canal Grande are San Polo, Dorsoduro, and Santa Croce; to the left, San Marco, cannaregio and Castello. Its 'Murano' island is famous for glass-blowing industry.
         Approximately 175 canals flow through Venice. They are spanned by an estimated 444 bridges. The entire city is constructed on oak,larch and elm piles driven into the underlying ground to provide support for the wooden pontoons upon which rest the foundation walls of the buildings.
    The light seems to rise from the water to shine on Venice's facades, domes and bridges. The city still has delightful little squares with trees and old-fashioned cafes in which, by lunchtime, sun-browned old men ensconce themselves with their 'Gazzettino' and 'Prosecco'.


                          (Gondola in Venice- a pencil sketch by me)



                                                (Gondola ride)

  The gondolas have their own charm but are ridiculously overpriced, though the experience shouldn't be missed, especially in the evening, when the light is perfect and the tranquility is only punctured by the monotonous splash of the gondolier's oar. As we glided over the lagoons to the brilliant sunshine, I saw other gondoliers in their colorful costumes, gracefully posed against the blue sky as they rowed  with easy strokes across the light-green surface of the water, I felt I was looking at the latest and best painting of the Venetian school! The sunshine raised the local colours to a dazzling glare and even the parts in shadow were so light that they could have served pretty well as sources of light.
 On our encouragement the gondoliers started to sing Italian verses to their own melodies. The one in the prow and the other in the stern, began chanting verse after verse in turns. The melody moved in the same tempo without any definite beat; but then I realized that the singers were changing the pitch according to the content of the verse in a kind of declamation. While stepping out of our gondola Edward asked the gondolier as to what they were singing. That fellow grinned and looking at me, Autumn and Sandra, said in broken English,"What else can one sing other than love-songs of Tasso when beautiful girls are sitting in his gondola?"..... Well, though I blushed a little, I was naturally pleased......

                                         (tranquil beauty of Venice)


. Most people in Venice earn their life from tourism. That is why everything in Venice is more expensive as against the other part of Italy.
When you look around, you can see narrow streets in water, small bridges, high buildings… The depth of water is about 150 cm. Base of the buildings was composed of piles so it is very amazing fact that those buildings composed of piles have been very strong for years. There is no car in Venice. There are only boats. Police car is a boat, ambulance is a boat; there are water taxis; they are also boats! So there  is no traffic jam or  any traffic stress! The air is so fresh!.

                                          (Hidden bridge in Venice)
When you walk in the street, you are afraid to  be lost in the maze of these narrow streets. The buildings very close to each other. They have small windows. In front of the windows there are flowerpots which make the buildings look nice. There are also some mask shops in Venice because Venice is famous for masks. . You can get on gondolas to wander around.

                                              (Palazzo, Venice)

In terms of meal, you can taste delicious pizzas, Italian ice-cream and pasta with delicious sauce. I enjoyed a glass of fresh fruit juice in a very cozy little bistro which was decorated artistically and had a homely look.


                                  
( Me, having a glass of fruit juice.There's a story behind this photo.The bistro's room was made very warm so that I could sit in my 'lights' and Edward could take this snap!)



        [ Evening scene at the 'Fondamenta della Misericordia' in the Cannaregio district.]

This is the best part of Venice (according to me,of course). This is a lively area, full of small shops, workshops and markets. Here students, pensioners, foreigners and locals intermingle. In the evening everyone sits with a glass of wine or spritzer outside one of the bars at the Fondamenta Ormesini. This area is fer away from the busy San Marco Square and is thus almost completely spared from the impact of mass tourism. It has maintained a village-like, very Venetian charm.

                                            (Venice at night-1)


                                             (Venice at night -2)

Walking in Venice at night is a bit like being drunk and in love – in a good way.  Nighttime in metros like London is almost taxing with thousands of lights and signs glaring down upon you. Hence I found the Venetian night the most beautiful, almost dreamlike. Dark brings stillness to the 'calli' and the canals. All is quiet except for the gentle lap of the waves against the walls and the muffled laughter from the restaurants. At such moments, Venice seems as majestic, magical and mysterious as a 'murano' glass chandelier in the candlelight.

We only spent two nights in Venice but I couldn’t get enough of it. I desperately want to go back there for at least a week just so I can wander the streets after dark.. All you need to do is step outside and the soundtrack follows you through the alleys and canals – water lapping, wine being poured, forks and knives clinking, children running & people laughing.

All at once it seems like a distant far off land, yet close at hand. It’s the kind of place where you see the next square and wonder if you’ll end up in a completely different world when you just turn the corner.

There is just no doubting in my mind that I am going back to Venice for an extended stay. It has some weird hold on me. I’m not sure what it is, it just seems like a place I need to explore further. It feels very familiar yet unimaginable.

Venice is mysterious & mystical without being cliche.Venice has an elusive, almost aristocratic spirit with a gritty and sexy soul.It’s a juxtaposition of itself and I think that’s why I love it so much.She is like the girlfriend you’ve always wanted, (just like my best friends Sandra and Autumn Eliza, who were  with me on this trip),the one you can take to the opera and giggle with her for hours together.  She’s that kind of cool and loving girl that  being with her puts you on top of the world. I guess that’s why she’s so easy to fall in love with. It’s the way she makes you feel – ALIVE.

That's why everyone looks so in love in Venice. It’s a place where people dress up, jump on their motor boat for a quick ride and then spend the rest of the evening dining, drinking & holding hands. It’s also a place where the real estate is crumbing, graffiti is plentiful and it’s not uncommon to find dead birds in the alleys.

The new blends seamlessly with the old in Venice. Time keeps marching on even though it looks like it’s been standing still for centuries. Venice is a place associated with artists.  Titian was born in Cannareggio, Canaletto  and three of my favorite artists Turner, Monet and Whistler all produced a lot of paintings during visits to Venice.

                                         (Venice- a sketch by me)

                               (Venice: a small bridge, gondola, etc.- a sketch by me)



I am now visiting Venice for the second time  and find endless stimulation in Venice's architecture and canals.  The nature of the place creates a very special sort of light and reflected colour which artists particularly value. Though I made some sketches, I ardently wish to come here again only for doing some really worthwhile paintings!

 So, I am back to a very chilly London which is being battered by strong winds! Yet I had my own share of 'new year shopping'!


                                     Bye, and have a nice time!


-Portia Burton





No comments :

Post a Comment