blog = blog.replace(/\.blogspot\..*?\//, ".blogspot.com/ncr/");

Do youlike my blog?

26/09/2011

A ROSE FOR A ROSE!

A ROSE FOR A ROSE!

On last Wednesday while we were having our lunch,mom suddenly said,"Poshy,let us go to the hospital tomorrow early in the morning."
I looked at her with a surprise and said,"But,mom,your next appointment is after a fortnight!"
 She said calmly,"My dear,tomorrow is 22 September."
It took me a few econds to realise the import of her words. 'But of course! Tomorrow is 22 September,the 'Rose Day''!My mind reminded me.
 Taking her hand and pressing it gently, I said,"Yes,mom. So silly of me,I almost forgot!yeah,we'll surely go there."
 That evening  while taking our usual stroll with Sandra, I broached upon this subject . She remained silent for a while and then said,"I'll also come with you,but first let us go to some florist and book some yellow roses to be delivered to us tomorrow morning."
 Next day those beautiful roses arrived,each wrapped nicely and tagged with a 'Get Well Soon' note!Oh,the presence of mind of that florist!
......On reaching the 'cancer ward',mom suddenly halted in her track.She took a deep breath and gripped my hand. I could feel her shiver and also the effort with which she brought a smile to her lips. Sandra, who was on the other side,realised mom's tenseness and with her usual presence of mind,tugged mom by her other hand and said chirpily, 'Oh,come on,big girl,your friends are waiting for you."
   These words brought a real giggle to mom and she said," Yeah,come,let us meet them."
  As soon as we entered that hall, there was an almost audible collective gasp,"Oh,look,who comes here,our Maggie!"
 I looked around. Almost all those wornout faces had lighted up on seeing mom,making me realise how much she was loved here. A very old woman,almost near her end,whispered with a great effort,"Maggie,I was certain that you would be the first person to come to visit us today even before our relatives.God bless you,child."
Soon, the cloud of gloominess got lifted and that hall was filled with pleasantries and greetings.
......While returning home, I was just looking at mom amusedly. She was her natural self,glowing with her angelic smile.
 It made me  think.Oh, how we all were crestfallen when mom was detected with cancer! It was as if we had suddenly stumbled and fallen in a deep pit! I couldn't bear mom's anguished cry,"Oh,why me?" But then she was also the first person to get control over herself. She said,"I am just 42 and have so much life ahead! I will defeat this intruder!" And true to her word, till this day she has never grudged even a little about her serious ailment.Instead, even in the  hospital she devoted her time in encouraging her co-patients to face the reality boldly and squarely in its face. She showed the same grit while allowing her right breast to be removed.
 Of course  she has become weak and her resistance power has waned. Each therupy session proves to be very painful for her. But with her resolve she is now certain to pull through.
....On reaching home we were surprised to see Mr.Thomas watson waiting for us. Mom rushed to that feeble old man in his eighties. His wife was mom's co-patient and expired only  two months ago.
 Mr.watson put forward his hand and while giving a yellow rose to mom,he said,"A rose for a rose!"
 Mom was so overwhelmed that without a word she hugged him tightly.Both of them had tears in their eyes.
  Mr. watson said in a chocked voice,"Maggie,you remember,Judith used to call you as 'Rose'.What if she is no more? I am still here to give you a rose on her behalf, with her words,'a rose for a rose!'"....
  I could almost feel the fragrance of a thousand roses all around me!.....

........PORTIA

11 comments :

  1. Portia, this is such a beautiful and courageous story...your Mom took a challenge and turned it into ( in your words) 1000 Roses. She became the light in the darkness for so many...she gave eternal hope and faith not only to others, but believed in it for herself. She inspires...thank you ....Always...

    ReplyDelete
  2. These people that fight against all odds are the real champions of this life .

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Portia.. Such a touching story..made my eyes well up. Your mother is so thoughtful and courageous to put her pain aside and relieve her friends of their's, however briefly. Please say hello her and my warm regards.
    I reached this post via Ravenmyth's comment.
    Lovely.

    Best
    Padmavani

    ReplyDelete
  4. An inspiration to all....Made me cry Portia...

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is beautiful....very moving. Your mother is not only brave but very spirited...wishing her well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Portia this was so beautiful. a wonderful tribute to your mom and all the other people fighting the brave fight. My brother just went through this with throat cancer and after a hard, painful fight he was diagnosed as free he and the doctors beat it!!! There is hope everyday there is more hope!!!!!!!


    http://jpweddingphotograpy.blogspot.com/2011/09/photographing-street-entertainers.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. Portia this is so touching. I recently visited my mom who is now in a nursing home. I expected to be sad seeing her there, but she is truly loved and is a much more engaging and friendly person than what she ever was. Your mom sounds like an angel. A rose for a rose indeed. Thanks for sharing this lovely story!

    http://lyricfire.typepad.com/lyric-fire/2011/09/lyric-fire-who-am-i-soul-inner-viewing.html

    ReplyDelete
  8. U made me cry Portia, now I'm become ur die hard friend.
    www.mahikhokhar.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nice story. Thank you for sharing this story cause it touched the reader's hearts.

    ReplyDelete
  10. my wishes goes out for ur mother tht she get well soon.a rose from me to her too.i know its late but still.....................belated rose day to ur mom and to u too.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I see how you so much admire and love your mom. She's truly a gift and an angel. I could also sense that she accepted her illness gracefully (not everybody does)...She has given herself as a paragon to other cancer stricken patients.

    Greetings to your mom and my warmest hugs and prayers :)

    ReplyDelete