PASSING THROUGH THE NATURE TO ETERNITY
My friends,
Thanks to your heartfelt wishes my mom's health is improving and even the doctors are very optimistic about her. She herself has felt it and is trying to be her usual cheerful self again, but her smile has a tinge of some seriousness now.
The other day she said in a lighter vein over the vapours of morning coffee,"Yes,now I have realised what does your Shakespeare mean by 'Readiness is all'. I am ready now. We have heard 'that' knock on our door.I know 'That' tour-conductor' is waiting for me."
She has named 'Death' as 'the tour conductor' who will take her on a tour of the 'Neverland'.
Oh,how subtly she has blunted the severity of the idea of Death! Her words have put us at ease and we no more talk about Death in hushed and frightened tone.
Last week when we heard about Steve Jobs' demise, mom asked me to read out one of his quotes,"Death cleans out the old to make way for the new. No one can escape it."
At first I was rather apprehensive to read aloud those lines but after uttering them they didn't sound that harsh and then on my own I blurted out Shakespeare's words,
"All that lives must die,
Passing through the nature to eternity,"
On that both my mom and dad laughed and suddenly the room felt like full of fresh air.
After a few moments, mom said,"But how seriously do we take these words?The one thing that we take most for granted is life itself. No one wants to die. But life is the most unpredictable thing and so it is better to be ready for anything.
"Nowadays I often think,'if I only had tomorrow and knew that there was no more!' Then I ask myself,'How would you choose to spend it,making it brigher for others or get drowned in your own sorrow?'
"Many people find comfort in the idea of 'rebirth' and some religions believe in it. But then, it will be another life, with no connection whatsoever to the life we lived!So, I don't indulge myself with that idea. For me life is NOW and what all I have. I would surely go to 'the Neverland' one day but I would like to leave behind some nice pleasant memory for people to remember me by when I am gone, as 'the bard' said,'passing through the nature to eternity'."
...............
All I could utter was a whispered 'AMEN!'
-PORTIA
My friends,
Thanks to your heartfelt wishes my mom's health is improving and even the doctors are very optimistic about her. She herself has felt it and is trying to be her usual cheerful self again, but her smile has a tinge of some seriousness now.
The other day she said in a lighter vein over the vapours of morning coffee,"Yes,now I have realised what does your Shakespeare mean by 'Readiness is all'. I am ready now. We have heard 'that' knock on our door.I know 'That' tour-conductor' is waiting for me."
She has named 'Death' as 'the tour conductor' who will take her on a tour of the 'Neverland'.
Oh,how subtly she has blunted the severity of the idea of Death! Her words have put us at ease and we no more talk about Death in hushed and frightened tone.
Last week when we heard about Steve Jobs' demise, mom asked me to read out one of his quotes,"Death cleans out the old to make way for the new. No one can escape it."
At first I was rather apprehensive to read aloud those lines but after uttering them they didn't sound that harsh and then on my own I blurted out Shakespeare's words,
"All that lives must die,
Passing through the nature to eternity,"
On that both my mom and dad laughed and suddenly the room felt like full of fresh air.
After a few moments, mom said,"But how seriously do we take these words?The one thing that we take most for granted is life itself. No one wants to die. But life is the most unpredictable thing and so it is better to be ready for anything.
"Nowadays I often think,'if I only had tomorrow and knew that there was no more!' Then I ask myself,'How would you choose to spend it,making it brigher for others or get drowned in your own sorrow?'
"Many people find comfort in the idea of 'rebirth' and some religions believe in it. But then, it will be another life, with no connection whatsoever to the life we lived!So, I don't indulge myself with that idea. For me life is NOW and what all I have. I would surely go to 'the Neverland' one day but I would like to leave behind some nice pleasant memory for people to remember me by when I am gone, as 'the bard' said,'passing through the nature to eternity'."
...............
All I could utter was a whispered 'AMEN!'
-PORTIA
Great news, Posh! I wish you follow the way of imroving!
ReplyDeleteHinduism does believe in re birth...I really don't understand it...
ReplyDeletehappy to hear that your Mom is better,my best wishes to her.
Hello.
ReplyDeleteI'm visiting from the group Blogger by Passion
Thought-provoking post.
Thanks for sharing & for your visit/comment. Much appreciated.
Bashful Lady
Ur mom s a brave n beautiful soul posh. My best f best wishes fr her...all love...she gets well soon.
ReplyDeleteMani
Portia i'm delighted to hear your news. I can relate to this, as my Mum has been seriously ill for some time. As she says, she is looking forward to the rest, relaxation and new body she will get when she goes, and she'll be in a better place able to see more of what's happening in her children's and grandchildren's life. I can't argue against her.
ReplyDeleteIt's not so natural for people to talk about end nor death, but it's good that you're both facing it with such faith.
ReplyDeleteIt is good to be ready at all times ~ vigilant and aware. Keep that fire of hope burning. I am near in prayers.